Wednesday 7 March 2012

Apple and Blackberry Flapjacks

So I need to apologise for the lack of recent blog updates but I have been a little preoccupied with the process of moving house. A process that was made more complicated than necessary due to the location of the Irish Sea and my new house being on the opposite side of it from where I was previously living. But after carefully packing (stuffing) all of my wordly possesions into 2 cars I have successfully made it (via ferry) to a rather rural part of Northern Ireland and am starting to settle in pretty well. I now have a beautiful sea view, a Rayburn (which I am yet to get totally to grips with) and a five minute commute to work. It all sounds rather idylllic, but broadband providers don’t seem to acknowledge that people living in such idyllic locations may want to access the internet so it has taken longer than I would have liked to be connected to the world wide web and get active on the blog front. But I am back and ready to get cooking on the Rayburn to provide more delicious ‘Something Missing’ treats!

Whilst I perfect baking in my new oven however I thought I would dig out a recipe I made ages ago and have managed to miss off of the blog to date. But here is my apple and blackberry flapjack recipe, and unlike most flapjack recipes there is no golden syrup or treacle. Instead the golden syrup is replaced with blackberry jam (which I had quite a large glut of last year after a slightly over enthusiastic blackberrying session). The blackberry jam provides the sweetness that the syrup would normally contribute to a flapjack although these flapjacks turn out slightly softer than a syrup fuelled jack and lack the chew normally associated with these treats…but a delicious tea time treat none the less, oh and they are suitable for vegans!



INGREDIENTS

250g porridge oats
150g margarine
100g blackberry jam
50g caster sugar
1 large eating apple (a crispy variety works best)

Pre-heat oven to 175 deg C / 350 deg F

Grease a 20cm square baking tray and line with greaseproof paper.

Put the margarine, jam and sugar into a saucepan and place over a medium heat. Occassionally stir the ingredients until melted and once well combined remove the saucepan from the heat.

Core the apple and dice into small chunks (I left the peel on, but you can always peel the apple first if you prefer). Then place the diced apple and oats into the saucepan and stir all of the ingredients together until well combined.

Spoon the mixture into the lined baking tray and press flat with the back of a spoon ensuring the mixture is evenly distributed in the tin.

Bake in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes until the top is golden brown in colour.

Remove from the oven and allow to cool before carefully turning the tin over onto a flat surface. Then remove the baking tray and greaseproof paper and slice into squares or fingers before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment